Sunday 5 July 2015

Day 3: Lima and exchanging travelling stories

At breakfast this morning, I suggested that today I visit Zari, an old friend of my grandma, who lives three roads away. My uncle Alejandro at first insisted that we phone ahead in case she wasn't there, then when I reasoned that since it was only a five minute walk from here it wouldn't waste much time, he suggested taking the bus there. At last we both left the house and he walked me to Zari's. It was really fun swapping travel stories with Zari, she's very sweet and kept serving me Inca Kola, the national fizzy drink. It's divine.

After a fun morning, I headed back to the house and went with Yessica for lunch to the same small restaurant. When we got back my grandfather was sleeping after his Thursday morning meeting with former coworkers, so I skyped home. During this time there was a knock at the door: I was expecting my mum's friend Angela to pick up some holy water my mum had sent for her, so I was quite surprised when I heard a male voice asking for my grandfather. Side note: due to Asperger Syndrome I get really uncomfortable answering the door or phone when I can't see who's calling, and get even more worked up when I have to answer at someone else's house. I asked who was there and didn't recognise the name at all: thankfully my mum, who was still on skype, recognised the name as the housecall doctors who give my grandfather his regular checkup. I opened the door and Yessica, who until now was upstairs, came down and showed them through. I retreated upstairs.

I spent the rest of the afternoon reading the news to my grandfather (suffice to say we have differing political views) and reading in my aunt's room. We tried to do a crossword puzzle, but his hearing problems meant that he misheard most of the clues that I shouted out, so after one we switched back to the news.

My uncle MaƱuco came over at one point with Alvaro: after answering Alvaro's questions about planes and coaches and the Spanish branch of his business, I asked my uncle if I could borrow his card to book my trip to Huancayo and pay him back. I'd hoped to travel on Saturday, but unfortunately the coach was full and there were only two seats left on Sunday's coach. I quickly booked one. To be honest at this point I was tired of being in Lima, to say the least, and looked forward to leaving for Huancayo.

More reading in the evening until bed, so by the time Mirian brought me pasta and my grandfather his peach compote, my throat was sore from shouting. My grandfather said that the way I read (I was shouting and very slowly reading the words that I didn't know how to pronounce) made me sound Peruvian without an accent, which slightly concerned me as to how deaf he must be!

No comments:

Post a Comment