Wednesday 24 June 2015

Day 2: Lima and the joys of lucuma

The good thing about arriving at night is that I felt refreshed the next morning with little jet lag. After a good shower, I made my way downstairs to join my grandfather for breakfast. My uncle Alejandro, who'll soon have the baby, was delighted to see me and happily talked as we, Yessica and my grandfather sat to a delicious breakfast of bread rolls with butter and cheese (or in my case just butter) and evaporated milk with hot water. I prefer it to fresh milk, which I was told is more expensive here.

We stayed talking throughout the morning, I skyped home to tell my mum about the journey, then sat and talked with my grandfather as he listened to his radio. His days are generally spent listening to radio since he doesn't generally want to go out, and my uncles are working during the day. My uncle MaƱuco came over with my cousin Alvaro, it was good seeing them. Alvaro has autism, his ongoing obsession is his plans for his own transport business and he asked me many times about the timetables, destinations and advantages of his airline over others, and insisted that when I get to Spain I will quit my job to work for him.

Yessica took me out for lunch, it was good to get out of the house and I enjoyed eating traditional Peruvian food. Afterwards we went to her antenatal class, where we watched videos of caesarean sections, conception (a bit late for that...?) and left just before the exercises since she had a consultation. Given that she and the other two women in the class are eight months' pregnant, Yessica had hoped that the class would go into more practical things about babycare, we had a good laugh about the session while we waited for her doctor.

On the way back we stopped off at the supermarket so Yessica could buy a DVD player since she's generally too tired to leave her bed, and I got some lucuma ice cream. Lucuma is a wonderful fruit, and the ice cream flavour is heavenly. As we left the shop Yessica got us some rice pudding from a small shop, which I happily ate after dinner. Unhappily I felt ill immediately after.

The evening was spent talking with my grandfather and eating spaghetti. We listened to Charlie Chaplin for a good hour, then he sent Mirian out to buy Chaplin biscuits. I can't say that I enjoyed them, but my grandfather was content to eat his biscuits, always telling me to help myself (thankfully, in a way, his blindness meant he couldn't tell that I wasn't eating many of them). Feeling ill after the rice pudding, I made my way to bed and hoped I'd be well by morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment